Re: COMPAT_IBCS2 on Vax

On 02.08.2017 21:10, Maxime Villard wrote:
> Le 02/08/2017 à 16:42, Kamil Rytarowski a écrit :

>>> I would vote for renaming. iBCS2 is something that is totally cryptic to
>>> me. SVR3 is something I would expect most people to understand what
>>> it is.
>>> But I suspect that also means renaming it for the x86 folks, and I
>>> wonder how easy it might be to get them onboard.
>>>
>>>    Johnny
>>>

>> I would keep it as it is, and improve documentation.
>>

> That's what I would do too.
>
> In fact, I don't understand for which specific purpose compat_ibcs2 was
> written. Was it written to be a compat for SVR3, but called iBCS2 for some
> reason? (in which case, it would be suspicious to have it on i386.) Or
> was it
> intended to be the real x86-specific iBCS2? (in which case, it would be
> suspicious to have it on Vax.)

It started as compat_ibcs2 which was SVR4 (ELF) i386.
It was extended with SCO UNIX SVR3 (IBCS2 COFF) i386.
Later there was added SCO UNIX SVR3 (IBCS2 XAOUT) i386.

The compat_ibcs2 i386 code was reused for DEC VAX SVR3.

> The man page is not particularly enlightening, and I fear that in order to
> figure out which compat (or which mix of both) compat_ibcs2 was meant to
> be,
> we will have to read the code and compare it with the iBCS2
> specification. I
> couldn't find this spec on the internet.

It started as SVR4 i386. IBCS2 ELF was renamed to compat_svr4, and
compat_ibcs2 was used for i386 SVR3.

I think that the ibcs2 evaluated as an alias for SVR3. I don't know
whether somebody reused this name on original VAX UNIX.

I proposed to keep it as it is, because there are more aliases like i386
that have not clear meaning.