Re: Resurrecting the vax lcg framebuffer driver?

Hi.

--- On Tue, 12/9/14, Anders Magnusson <ragge%ludd.ltu.se@localhost> wrote:

> From: Anders Magnusson <ragge%ludd.ltu.se@localhost>
> >
> > If your keyboard goes nuts during boot
> "SET BFLG 1" in the prom console.
> > This will make the kernel ask about
> > root/swap but will make the keyboard work. (Why?)
> Probably because the chip is polled during this
> question, and will be in
> a sane state
> afterwards.
> I assume that something like the
> interrupt flag will not be cleared
> otherwise and therefore the chip never
> generates any interrupt, or
> something.
Something like that, probably.
Do other vaxstations have the same problem?

> > I also tried to get
> the accelerated version working but had less luck there.
> >
> > It can be found
> here:
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2004/06/14/0002.html
> > with a change here
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2004/06/14/0003.html
> >
> > I got it to attach
> and not panic the kernel. No output to the screen though,
> except the cursor.
> > Which is in the
> right place for a login prompt...
> > You
> can login and the cursor moves. When the cursor comes to the
> last line it does not scroll the screen though, just the
> last line...
> >
> > If
> anyone has more clues than me feel free to fill me in. :)
> (Blaz, are you still reading this list?)
> > The accelerated version looks really nice
> with color support and loadable fonts. It would be a shame
> if it was lost IMO.
> >

> Hm,
> didn't OpenBSD add some support for this device?  It
> might be an
> idea to look at that.
Yes, it is a port of Blaz unaccelerated driver. However they have
added support for colors, font loading and different variants of the lcg.
Perhaps it would be easier to port this and then try to get
the acceleration going with that?

> Have you found out how to be
> able to break out to the >>> prompt if the
> VXT2000 hangs?
> Usually it is ^P
> or break, but neither works for me on my VXT2000.
> Due to this I haven't spent much time to
> develop on it... :-/

Never seen a VXT2000, sorry. It doesn't work pressing the halt-switch?
Anyways, openbsd supports that attachment. Maybe you can gleen at
their code?

--- On Mon, 12/8/14, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> I have no VLC
> unfortunately, but I hereby volunteer to help you get
> this
> into the master repo - can you mail me
> a tested patch against -current?
If you have a 4000/60 chances are that it has the same framebuffer :)

Before commit there are the two problems to be solved, at least.
Even better if we could get the accelerated working.
I was hoping Blaz would chime in here, anyone know how to contact him?

PS.
No need to CC me, I have subscribed to the list.