Re: NetBSD speed curiosities

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:22:43 +0100
David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Following up a suggestion from Thor in the other thread - have you
> tried linking it statically and comparing the numbers.
>
> Another interesting number might be from using NetBSD 1.2 in simh and
> to build a static binary and then test that on your main machine..

Just as a data point, it isn't necessary to go back to 1.2 for decent
performance on VAX.

I ran NetBSD 1.6 when it was current on a 4000/60 with no trouble.  I
brought it to the Linux Expo in NYC one year, where it ran dillo as a
demonstration.

No custom kernel, just whatever binaries I found on ftp.  I didn't know
how to cross-compile, so I probably built any applications natively,
relying on the defaults, with pkgsrc.

--jkl