RE: disklabel MAXPARTITIONS reversal

On Tuesday, April 09, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2013, at 12:53 PM, Martin Husemann wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:50:34PM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> >
> >> SIMH VAX?  That doesn't work for current NetBSD -- the "NetBSD" idle
> >> setting is for an older release, assuming it ever worked which I
> >> don't know.
> >
> > AFAICT this has been fixed, so it should be detected (we switch to IPL
> > 1 on entry to the idle loop):
> >
> > /*
> > * This allows SIMH to recognize the kernel wants to sleep.
> > */
> > static inline void
> > cpu_idle(void)
> > {
> >        int ipl = mfpr(PR_IPL);
> >        mtpr(1, PR_IPL);
> >        mtpr(ipl, PR_IPL);
> > }
> >

> > And yes, I had idle detection set to "netbsd".
> >
> > Martin
>
> Good to know.  My results were from V6.0-RC1 if I remember right.

It also depends on the simh version.  I had suggested the IPL 1 way back in
2011, but the code to explicitly support that did not make it into the last
official simh release (v3.9).  The current code at
https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip has had the NetBSD/OpenBSD IPL1
idle detection for about a year.

Johnny's 2 8600's are clearly running the newer code since the 8600 is a new
simulator, but I have no idea what other folks are running....

- Mark