Re: Userland emulator

On 2013-03-26 01:03, Rhialto wrote:
On Tue 26 Mar 2013 at 00:45:23 +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
The VVAX (Virtual VAX) addes three instructions (WAIT, PROBEVMR and
PROBEVMW), adds one bit to the PSL (telling it's executing in
virtual mode), and changes the behaviour of a lot of stuff if you
are in virtual mode, as well as having a fake PSL for the virtual
machine.

Ah, googling for those instructions gave me the paper
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.137.3443&rep=rep1&type=pdf
(Virtualizing the VAX Architecture - CiteSeerX). Seems quite interesting
(I just started reading it).

Well, you could just read the VARM as well...
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/vax/archSpec/EL-00032-00-decStd32_Jan90.pdf

Chapter 12 is about the VVAX.

        Johnny