Re: Netbooting VS4k60

After some experimentation I determined that the probe of the le
device was failing because the lance chip detected a memory timeout
during a DMA cycle. During the probe, the lance is initialized which
includes loading a configuration table from memory. If the init
succeeds then the chip is detected. If it fails The KA46 System Board
Specification says that the lance memory timeout error occurs when
there is a memory parity on the previous DMA cycle.

The interesting thing is that the boot loaders from ROM and NetBSD
always work without any indication of error. There has also never been
any memory errors. The machine has a full complement of memory
(104MB).

If there are any comments or suggestions I would like to hear them. I
hate to think there is a hardware problem that is unlikely to be
fixable.

-chuck

(now being more careful about gmail)