Re: /etc/disktab on vax

On Nov 21, 11:09am, Dave McGuire wrote:
} On 07/01/2012 04:24 PM, John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Nov 15, 10:39am, Dave McGuire wrote:
} > } On 06/25/2012 07:10 AM, David Brownlee wrote:
} > } >>> I hope support for my old VAX is still around when I finally get
} > } >>> around to get it running again.  Linux just removed support for some
} > } >>> of the older SPARC systems that I collect.
} > } >
} > } > That would be sun4c? Linux never really ran very well on it - they did
} > } > a much better job on sun4m and later.
} > }
} > }   Very true.
} > }
} > } > I would not expect NetBSD/sparc sun4c support to be an issue going
forward :)
} > }   It had better not.  The day NetBSD stops supporting sun4c is the day
} > } it stops being NetBSD.
} >
} >      That's a little excessive.  Depending on the longevity of NetBSD,
} > there will come a day when supporting sun4c will be utterly pointless.
} > That doesn't mean NetBSD is no longer NetBSD just that it has evolved.
}
}   I disagree.  There will come a day (and this day has come and went for
} MOST people, but not all) when it's pointless to run a sun4c in
} commercial production.  Many people run them for hobby purposes.

     There will come a day when it is even pointless to run them for
hobby purposes (some would argue that day has already come), except as
an historical curiosity.  And for that, an historical OS would do.
Failing that, there will come a day when pretty much all remaining
sun4c systems simply cease to function.

}   So.  Shall NetBSD just decide to be a commercially-targeted OS that
} only cares about what is new and shiny?  Speaking as a proud and happy

     I don't think anybody said that.  Nor is it the same thing as
desupporting completely pointless stuff.

}-- End of excerpt from Dave McGuire