Re: /etc/disktab on vax

On 07/01/2012 04:24 PM, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Nov 15, 10:39am, Dave McGuire wrote:
> } On 06/25/2012 07:10 AM, David Brownlee wrote:
> } >>> I hope support for my old VAX is still around when I finally get
> } >>> around to get it running again.  Linux just removed support for some
> } >>> of the older SPARC systems that I collect.
> } >
> } > That would be sun4c? Linux never really ran very well on it - they did
> } > a much better job on sun4m and later.
> }
> }   Very true.
> }
> } > I would not expect NetBSD/sparc sun4c support to be an issue going
> forward :)
> }   It had better not.  The day NetBSD stops supporting sun4c is the day
> } it stops being NetBSD.
>
>      That's a little excessive.  Depending on the longevity of NetBSD,
> there will come a day when supporting sun4c will be utterly pointless.
> That doesn't mean NetBSD is no longer NetBSD just that it has evolved.

  I disagree.  There will come a day (and this day has come and went for
MOST people, but not all) when it's pointless to run a sun4c in
commercial production.  Many people run them for hobby purposes.

  So.  Shall NetBSD just decide to be a commercially-targeted OS that
only cares about what is new and shiny?  Speaking as a proud and happy
NetBSD user since v0.9 almost two decades ago, I feel that I can
reasonably assert that this has NEVER been what NetBSD is about.

  Loss of functionality is not "evolution".

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA