Re: HEADs up - gcc 4.1 reversion & MSCP CD changes in current

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

> OK, so I've not introduced any new breakage with my racd changes, but
> something is broken.

Yeah, this has been like this for a couple of months at least.

> Hmm, could you send a full dmesg from 5.1 and current. What is the
> actual failure message after probing - does it just hang?

Here's the dmesg output booting 5.1.1:

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 5.1.1 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Jan  5 02:17:53 UTC 2012

builds%b7.netbsd.org@localhost:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-1-RELEASE/vax/201201040549Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-1-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC
VAX 4000/700A
total memory = 127 MB
avail memory = 121 MB
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0KA692, NVAX (ucode rev 2)
ze0 at mainbus0
ze0: hardware address 08:00:2b:2b:67:a6
shac at mainbus0 not configured
uba0 at mainbus0: Q22
mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0: version 4 model 14
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
mt0 at mscpbus0 drive 0: TK70
uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 770 ipl 17
mscpbus1 at uda0: version 6 model 13
mscpbus1: DMA burst size set to 4
ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RA90
timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0
timecounter: Timecounter "mfpr" frequency 1000000 Hz quality 100
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
ra0: size 45322643 sectors
boot device: ra0
root on ra0a dumps on ra0b
root file system type: ffs

With a completely current kernel, things get reordered slightly after
the Qbus is detected (I'm copying by hand, now, so I'm skipping the
new version announcement, and the unchanged stuff):

mtc0 at uba0 csr 174500 vec 774 ipl 17
mscpbus0 at mtc0: version 4 model 14
mscpbus0: DMA burst size set to 4
uda0 at uba0 csr 172150 vec 770 ipl 17
mscpbus1 at uda0: version 6 model 13
mscpbus1: DMA burst size set to 4
mt0 at mscpbus0 drive 0: TK70
mt1 at mscpbus0 drive 0: TK70
ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RA90
ra1 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RA90

Notice how it's now not announcing any of the devices until after it's
got both buses detected, while 5.1.1 showed them immediately after the
bus had been detected, before going on to the next controller.

It then just sits there.  However, after a while I tried hitting the
carriage return key, upon which it spat out:

boot device: ra1
root on ra1a dumps on ra1b
root on ra1a dumps on ra1b
root file system type: ffs

...and the date and time.  It then just sat there again for a while, but
eventually continued:

swapctl: /dev/ra0b: Device not configured
Starting file system checks:

...and it's just sitting again.  I suspect everything is now just going
agonizingly slow because it's found the fstab by way of /dev/ra1a, and
now keeps trying to access ra0, but failing.

After a long time, fsck complains loudly that it can't check /dev/rra0a,
and I'm asked to select a shell.  It's hanging there at the moment, and
I suspect it doesn't really make sense to wait for it.  :)

-tih
--
"The market" is a bunch of 28-year-olds who don't know anything. --Paul Krugman