Re: CD drives on vax

On 21 June 2012 19:46, Jochen Kunz <jkunz%unixag-kl.fh-kl.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:02:22 +0100
> David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RRD40 <-- MSCP CD drive
>> ra1 at mscpbus1 drive 1: RA82   <-- RA82 MSCP disk
> I have a MSCP emulating SCSI host adapter that identifies CD drives as
> "RA80"...

Thats... a little unhelpful. Does it not tag them in any way to allow
the driver to distinguish them from 'real' disks?

> I asume you got that ra0 => RRD40 from simh?

And from real vax dmesg output :)
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2008/02/23/msg000078.html

> Fixing this case is good, as there are many people playing with simh.
> So anything that eases the install burden for these people is a +.

Thats my current target...

After a moments thought it does occur that rrd is a particularly poor
choice of device name if we already have the raw devices for 'rd'
around :/

So, currently looking at Martin's racd as the best name unless there
are any other suggestions?