Re: CD drives on vax

On 2012-06-21 13:10, Anders Magnusson wrote:
On 06/21/2012 01:02 PM, David Brownlee wrote:
On 21 June 2012 11:59, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:49:32AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:

Ideally I'd like sysinst to be able to default to the "right" cd
device when possible, by detecting if a scsi cd* or MSCP ra* CD drive
is attached.
Sysctl hw.disknames lists them, we only need to check for ra* on vax.

Is there a way to test wether a ra* cd drive has a medium inserted?
Sysinst uses TEST UNIT READY on scsi/atapi devices via a special ioctl,
we could add support for that to the ra driver.
I thought of replacing CD_NAME in sysinst with an array of potential
drives, and sysinst picking the first one found in hw.disknames, but
that is complicated by the fact ra* is used for MSCP attached hard
drives as well, though they are differentiated in dmesg:
ra0 at mscpbus1 drive 0: RRD40 <-- MSCP CD drive
ra1 at mscpbus1 drive 1: RA82   <-- RA82 MSCP disk

So maybe an md routine which returns the default CD partition. On most
ports it could return just "cd0a" while on vax it could pick the first
RRD40 marked ra* in dmesg, or fallback to cd0?
It would be simple to set a separate device name for mscp cd:s, floppies
are handled separately.
See src/sys/dev/mscp/mscp_disk.c:ramatch() and rxmatch().  The same
could be done for RRD40.

I'm not sure it will be that easy. The ra have a major number of 9, while rx have a major number of 12. However, cd have another major number, and that will be associated with the mi cd driver. Can we somehow get this to play along with a md cd driver?

        Johnny