Re: Anyone in Europe want to split one of three DEC VAXstation 4000-60s?

On Fri, 2012-03-30 12:33:53 +0100, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On 28 March 2012 10:39, Gianluca Bonetti
> <gianluca.bonetti%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> > VS4000/60s do not have a value higher than 50 euros, even for a hobbyist.
> > They usually show up in ebay at very low price, around 40-80 euros.
> > Shipping included, each one of these VS would cost around 300 euros.
> > Really, really, really, not a bargain.
>
> On 28 March 2012 19:49, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-03-28 09:33:25 +0100, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost>
> > wrote:
> > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220987486914
> >
> > That's totally overpriced!
>
> They are far from cheap, but they are quite well equipped with
> additional SCSI and graphics cards -
> does that mean they will have the rather rare TC adaptors?

They are (first of all) dirty to no end! I guess you'll want to clean
their PSUs heavily. (They tend to smell once they're too dusty.)

These thingies have SCSI on-board, so you'd add any SCSI-2 stuff you
want to, at least to the internal bus. (Without going down to the
basement, I don't remember which connector they have to connect to
external SCSI devices. May be something rare, but I'm not sure.)

The m60/90/90a/96 have their own graphic adaptors, you can even choose
between different models. These plug directly to the mainboard, so
there's probably no TC adapter involved. (After a long search, I'd get
my hands on one of them.)

> The auction does indicate its open to offers. If they do have the
> adaptors, maybe its worth making one at a more reasonable price :)

Most probably there's no such adaptor. (If you're looking for
something like that, look for an additional SCSI, FDDI or ethernet
adaptor.)

> On 28 March 2012 19:49, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > I am not to offer my physical machines, but if anybody wants to have
> > access to a m60, m90, m90a or m96, they'd drop me a note. I'd set-up
> > console access, NFS root, bootp/dhcp and MOP and offer access.
>
> Thanks. That reminds me, have people tested installing/booting the
> NetBSD-6 beta on a selection of VAXen?

At least, not /me.

> I've just picked up a 90a, and a RJ11 to DB9 adaptor arrived this
> morning, so I'm going to get it hooked up to a serial console and have
> a play :)

It's a simple thing. You'd probably easily rework a cheap RJ-11 plug
and a DB25/DE9 (yes, it's DE9, not DB9).  I hope you didn't spend too
much on the console cable :)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw%lug-owl.de@localhost