Re: VAXstation 4000/90 help

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

If I get a chance, I'll try some 4000/60 memory in either the 4000/90 or 4000/90A and see if it works.

OK, I tried with 4 4MB modules I pulled out of a 4000/60, and they worked in the 4000/90.

  Which slots did you put your memory in?  I noticed that my memory was
in a somewhat odd configuration. It had 4 modules, with slots 1, 3, 6, and 8 populated. [I.e. the outside slots had memory, the next slots in
were empty, the next populated, and the middle 2 empty.]

Ah, found the slot labeling on the system board on the right edge of the memory connectors. 0A, 0B, 0C, and 0D where the ones populated on my system. 4 modules can be installed in either the 0X or the 1X slots.

  I also verified that without any memory, the LEDS show 0xF2 and it
sits there with no other action or output.  With working memory present,
the LEDS start with 0xFC, runs through a number of other combinations, and ends with 0xF3 displaying when it's at the ROM prompt. This would seem to indicate that you don't have working memory.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant