Re: Another illegal instruction awk problem

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, der Mouse wrote:

(gdb) x/i 0x80196183
0x80196183 <emodd+120>: movd r9,r0
emodd - I think that's one of the often-emulated inestructions,
meaning ragge is almost certainly right.
So then... how should I go about figuring out why the emulated
instruction didn't get emulated?

Oh, it's not that it didn't get emulated.  It was in the process of
being emulated when the fault occurred; that's what the PC inside the
kernel's emodd code indicates.

However, I have trouble seeing how "movd r9,r0" could fault showing
SIGILL.  While I don't have the -5 source at ready hand, the 4.0.1

  My guess would be that it's trying to move a 'NaN', which someone had
decided should be a value that causes a reserved operand fault on the vax. The reserved operand fault generates a SIGILL to the process. I'd have to see the contents of the source register to be sure.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant