Re: anyone know what's going on in dw780_errchk

Anders Magnusson wrote:

>> - if one does get a miniroot kernel to boot, the partition info is not
>> communicated to the new kernel.  so it thinks you booted from partition 0
>> ('a') and uses that as root.  rather confusing.
>Why would that be confusing?  There is nothing in the miniroot that says it
>must be on the b partition.

It's confusing because I wrote the mini root to the B partition and
booted the kernel from the B partition but that kernel mounted the A
parition as it's root...

(I was assuming, incorrectly, that the boot program would communicate the
boot parition to the kernel)

>> 4.3bsd sends the boot partition in r10.  It seems like using one of the
>> "rpb" registers (like r4) might be a better plan.  Is there any reason
>> not to send the boot partition info in r4?  (i.e. rpb_bootr4)
>>
>No, not really, it has just never been a problem ignoring it :-)

Well, it requires one to use the "-a" argument if you boot from something
other than the A parition.  I guess I liked the old way of passing the
info along to the kernel, just for safety's sake...

-a works.  it asks you for the root.

-brad