Subject: Re: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
To: NetBSD/vax Discussion List <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/07/2005 15:23:32
[ On Friday, May 6, 2005 at 23:10:39 (+0200), Klaus Klein wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
>
> On Friday, 6. May 2005 02:04, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Thursday, May 5, 2005 at 15:01:40 (-0700), Aaron J. Grier wrote: ]
> > > which crypto algorithms use floating point?
> >
> > I don't really know for sure (esp. w.r.t. OpenSSL and OpenSSH), other
> > than what "egrep 'float|double' */*" shows in src/dist/openssl/crypto).
> > (which seems to be most of them :-)
>
> What you're seeing there are the timing calculations of the
> algorithms' _benchmark_ modules.

Yes, that could well be.

In any case the problem is endemic to OpenSSH and it is easily solved by
using SSH-3.x from pkgsrc/security/ssh2 instead.  :-)

This thread more or less mirrors one a couple years ago:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2002/03/05/0008.html

There may indeed also be some way to improve the performance of OpenSSH
by using better compiler optimization flags, especially on sparcs where
there seems to be a wider diversity of performance-related CPU features
over the years.  However I don't think anyone has yet had the patience
to benchmark the differences, if any, between an ideally optimized build
of OpenSSH against an identically compiled SSH-3.x.  All I know is that
I was surprised by the complaints in the above referenced thread until I
realized that those folks were using OpenSSH and I wasn't seeing
any similar problems because I was using SSH-3.x  ;-)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>