Port-sun3 archive

Re: Port help wanted/needed?

abs%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:

> >>    The 3/50 has IIRC its framebuffer at 1MB, so the kernel size is
> >>    very constrained. Could you try building a kernel with just
> >>    about everything disabled for the 3/50?
> >
> > Sure thing. I lent it away a few years ago, but I can get it back over
> > the weekend to give it a try. This one is a stock 3/50 minus the extra 8Mb
> > board. We'll see what we can do with only 3Mb to work with. I remember
> > the last time I did get a kernel booting on it (GENERIC, no less) a few
> > years ago, it was swapping by the time it hit the login prompt.
>
>       I think its worth adding a SUN350 kernel config to the tree.
>       I'm curious to see how much free memory we can get :)

The problem is that sun3 ports requires three kernels for installation:
RAMDISK*: kernel with minimum binaries to write miniroot in md_root
INSTALL*: kernel in miniroot for installation
GENERIC*: GENERIC kernel

so we should consider if we will provide all these variants for 3/50.
(I guess single 3_50 would be enough by assuming network boot install)

I've tried to build a shrinked kernel for 3/50 and
it's still ~1.5MB, but NetBSD/sun2 works with 1.7MB
FOURMEG kernel with 4MB RAM, so it will also work on 4MB 3/50.

http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/netbsd-sun3-3_50-5.0_BETA-20090124.gz

(IIRC NetBSD 1.1 kernel was ~700KB and OS is ever growing  ;-)

---
include "arch/sun3/conf/GENERIC"

no makeoptions COPTS

makeoptions COPTS="-Os -fno-function-cse -fstrength-reduce"

no options INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE

no options HAVECACHE

no options SYSVMSG
no options SYSVSEM