Port-sun2 archive

sun2 emulator

Hi.  I have a new version of my Sun 2 emulator that can run NetBSD.
Highlights of the new version:

  - when GTK is available, emulates a real console (bwtwo, keyboard,
    and mouse)
  - emulates the Sun `sc' SCSI host adapter
  - emulates an Emulex MT-02 SCSI/QIC tape
  - emulates a generic SCSI-1 disk

The SCSI support means you don't have to give the emulator network
access and run it diskless if you don't want to - now you can install
NetBSD from virtual tape onto virtual disk.

Instructions on how to download, build, and use it (including some
screenshots) are at:

http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~fredette/tme/index.html

The emulator was developed on a NetBSD/i386 1.5 machine, but I've also
compiled and tested it a little on FreeBSD/i386 4.8 and SuSE Linux i386
8.2 (kernel 2.4.20).  Big-endian hosts should work too, but I haven't
tried any.

The code is still rough and the distribution isn't too user-friendly, but
if you follow the instructions carefully, and have experience installing
NetBSD on Sun 2 or Sun 3 machines, you just might end up with an emulated
Sun 2 Multibus system.

--
Matt Fredette