Re: Booting from CD-RW disc

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 01:53:34PM +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:12 AM John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > There are things you can buy which are new. The most common would be an
> > IDE to CompactFlash adapter plus a CompactFlash card, as an example. I use
> > lots of SATA SSDs via SATA-IDE adapters. But your point is taken.
>
> Hi John, thanks for the advice, I had no idea such adapters existed. I
> think I'll be getting one soon.

I'm running a SUN V100, which has only IDE interfaces for storage, with
three disks under NetBSD right now:
 - 1x 500 GB
 - 2x 1TB
All three are SATA spindles wired in via SATA-PATA adapters. Speed is nothing
to write home about (mostly due to the crappy IDE chipset), but it seems to
work. I booted from the 500 GB one for a while and recently it refused to
boot with either NetBSD or FreeBSD, but netbooting the machine and using
the spindles for storage still works fine.

Kind regards,
            Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison