re: Memory/data errors

Sad Clouds writes:
> Hello, I've been seeing various errors and kernel hangs with NetBSD-8
> on Sun Ultra 10. This is a rather old machine, so I'm assuming hardware
> is starting to fail, etc. I did run max diagnostics at openboot and it
> didn't find any issues.
>
> Normally, I would run NetBSD build.sh and sooner or later GCC would
> segfault, or kernel would hang. I was also seeing the following errors
> logged:
>
> Mar 15 17:53:42 ultra10 /netbsd: data error type 32 sfsr=0 sfva=425de020 afsr=400008 afva=17ff7b6fbf8 tf=0x1186c7ed0
>
> So I upgraded to latest snapshot and changed from GENERIC to GENERIC.UP
> and it seems much more stable now. Not seen any kernel hangs for a few
> hours, but I'm still running build.sh and it's too early to celebrate.
>
> A few questions though, has anyone noticed anything similar when running
> GENERIC? Could these be some race conditions which are not present in
> uniprocessor kernel?

my ultra10s got this disease.  i still run one of them and it
occasinally hangs when idle or busy.  one of the problems with
the ultra10 is that when we try to 'sir' to recover from some
types of fatal error it hangs instead of resets.  i never got
around to seeing if we do something to cause it.

i haven't seen any issues i'd relate to GENERIC vs UP, but this
is an interesting point.  please let us know if this stays up.

.mrg.