Re: Sun Blade 2500 won't come up at all - "Last Trap: Corrected ECC Error"

On 4 Dec 2017, at 8:59, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

It's been a while, but ISTR OBP does not enable the correctable ECC trap.
So do you have auto-boot? enabled?

My theory (which may be completely wrong) is that you have auto-boot?
enabled, so OBP loads the kernel. The kernel installs a bunch of code,
including debug vectors in OBP, and turns on the ECC trap.

So try sending a break early to stop the autoboot sequence. If you can do that and get the ok prompt to work properly you can use OBP to dump out
interesting register contents and pin down the bad hardware.

Otherwise, yes, start swapping DIMMs.  (Although it might not be the
DIMMs....)

Thanks Eduardo. I probably have auto-boot? set to true but it's been so long I can't remember. I'm using minicom from a Mac mini to talk to it and trying to Stop-A it is ... a challenge.

I tried adding back the DIMM banks in slots 2 & 3 and slots 6 & 7 (for the 2nd CPU) but that just resulted in something different:

--
FATAL: no exception frames available, forcing misaligned trap
ERRFATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive
FATAL: no exception frames available, forcing misaligned trap
FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive
FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive
FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive
FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive
FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive
debug: FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive debug: FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive debug: FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive debug: FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive debug: FATAL: no exception frames available, NESTED ERRORs, going interactive
[... repeat ad nauseam ...]

A couple more power cycles got the same results, so I'm not doing too well here.

This thing worked like a champ before, am really puzzled that it's in such a state now.

		- Greg