Re: Netra X1 - Fast Data Access MMU Miss

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Maurizio Caloro wrote:

> Hello Martin
> equal, if i boot from Netbsd 5.1 Sparc64 CD-Rom or Harddisk i become this
> message. Please you know this Error?

The "Fast Data Access MMU Miss" error is the PROM telling you that
something attempted to access a memory location that was mapped into the
PROM.  This happens before the MMU is taken over by the kernel.

We need to determine where the fault is occurring to be able to diagnose
it.  Try adding the "-vV" flags to the boot command.  That should
increase the verbosity of the boot process and give a better idea where
things are failing.  Can you send us a log of the boot messages?

> with meny reset-all or reset -x i have from 50 try possibilites to Boot one
> time correct.
>
> with ideea i have damaged disk i buy a new one.

If the problem happens with both the disk and CDROM then the problem is
unlikely to be fixed by replacing the disk.

Now the old bootblock and ofwboot only understand ffsv1 and expect to find
the filesystem superblock at an 8KB offset from the start of the
disk/partition.  (The newer multi-format boot block also understands lfs
and most of ffsv2, but I don't think that's made it to 5.1.)

If the bootblock finds a superblock at the 8KB position but the rest of
the filesystem has been overwritten, either by a different partition or a
RAID volume, it will get confused and generate this error.  If you have
nothing else on the disk you can try zero-ing out the first 64KB or better
yet 128KB and then reinstall NetBSD on that disk and see if it fixes the
poroblem.

Eduardo