Re: SUN Ultra 5 HDD compatibility

on port-sparc64, Michael wrote:

>>     m> IIRC the U5/U10 doesn't like 3.3v only PCI cards. Neither do
>>     m> older Macs for example.
>>
>> doesn't make sense.  There must be a longer story about what's really
>> going on.

>He said it worked in an U30 which - unlike U5/U10 - has a 3.3v slot.

U60, but this has a 3.3V slot as well.  OTOH I'm fairly sure I tried a
slot that looked "like the one on the U5" (which would make it one
of the 3 5V-slots).

*read e-mail archives*

OK, that's what I wrote about this card in the U60, about a year ago :-)

------------- quote ------------
Looking at Wikipedia and at my machines, both machines have 5V PCI slots
(the U60 has 3.3V and 5V slots, but the SATA card is in one of the 5V
slots - and of course the U60 has 64bit, but that shouldn't matter for a
32 bit-only card).

so indeed, I made sure it's in a 5V slot, so *that* was not the reason
why it didn't work in the U5 (and in the 440BX-based Pentium-III PC).

gert
--
gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost   fax: +49-89-35655025
http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

I wish you everything you wish me, and everything you'll wish you wished
me after I've wished you everything I wish you.