Re: SATAlink PCI card and Ultra 5?

Hi,

to followup with a bit more detail on this:

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:11:26AM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> Now the funny part.  The "target" machine for this controller is an Ultra5,
> which direly needs a larger and faster hard disk.  PCI being PCI, I assumed
> it would "just work".  But it doesn't.
>
>  - OBP does not recognize the card ("setenv diag-switch? true" shows the
>    PCI slot in question as "empty" - the slot is OK, though, as a PCI
>    RTL8019 network card is recognized just fine).

It's not actually a *Sun* hardware issue.

I have now tested the card in a PC mainboard (Intel 440BX, P3-600, about
the same age as the U5...) and the effect is quite similar - no Bios
messages, and Linux' "lspci" does not see the card at all.

So it might be the card that is "funny" - it actually looks funny, because
it's a bit shorter than a normal PCI card - the last 4 rows of connection
pins are just "not there" (A59..A62 and B59..B62).

According to http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml these shouldn't
be needed in any way, though (additional voltage pins, plus 64bit
signalling, which is likely to be not connected on the U5 anyway).

... moving back the card to the U60, just to be sure I haven't broken
anything, it Just Works... (just copied over a few gbytes to the SATA
disk, just to be sure).

Weird.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/