re: Multilib support on sparc64

   I have a few questions in regard to multilib support. Now that gcc
   accepts -m32, I would like to build and run 32-bit binaries from pkgsrc.

   1. How does the system execute 32-bit binaries, i.e. goes it use
   compat_netbsd32 or something else? I had problems with compat_netbsd32, i.e.
   some applications would segfault, threaded applications didn't work, etc.
How
   does multilib support function, does it overcome all these problems?

it's the same basic system, so, these sorts of problems probably
still exist.  i haven't really done anything beyond making this
a lot easier to use and adding direct compiler support.

this is still using compat_netbsd32 in all its glory except for
the /emul/netbsd32 path name translation no longer being used.

   2. I can see /usr/lib/sparc directory with 32-bit libraries, but /lib
contains
   only 64-bit libraries, so how is this supposed to work? What's the
difference
   between /usr/lib and /lib? How are 32-bit binaries supposed to find 32-bit
   libraries under /lib if there is no sparc directory with 32-bit libraries?

/lib is to support binaries in /bin, /sbin and /libexec only.
those are all 64 bit.  there is no current plan to have this
also support 32 bit.

   3. I built release with Xorg, /usr/X11R7/lib contains only 64-bit libraries,
   how am I supposed to build 32-bit X11 packages?

there is no support for this.  i am not sure there will be,
but perhaps then next version of multilib will support this.

   4. Does pkgsrc recognise or can handle multilib support on NetBSD-current?

i have no idea.

.mrg.