Re: fastest UltraSPARC hardware NetBSD runs on?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:58:05 -0400
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> What on earth are you talking about? You'd rather change /every
> single/ i2c driver than put a slightly different bus attachment into
> a select few?
I talk about a small modification (addition) to the match-function of
every i2c device driver. With your method you will have to reinvent the
bus attachment wheel over and over again in several places for many
ports and devices. With that addition to the i2c device match function
you will get a universal, MI solution for the problem that will work
for all ports and devices in a uniform way.

> Besides, you might want to look at Paul Goyette's work in dbcool. If
> your i2c devices can be probed for then there is no problem either.
I remember the discussion on tech-kern. I have to and will
reinvestigate the issue again before I add the direct configuration
stuff. And it needs to be discussed on tech-kern pre-commit.

I don't say my proposal is the one and only way to go. It is the way
OpenBSD went and think it is a good solution. Therefore I propose to
use this prior art and go the same route.

OK. I'll rip out the direct configuration stuff and commit the plain
device drivers. We'll see more once we are at 5.99.0...
--

tschüß,
       Jochen