Re: SMP vs. RAIDframe?

* Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> [2008-09-29 10:02]:
> Yeah, I've been torturing it pretty badly. There are other things
> broken on sparc64 ( not sure if any of them are SMP-related but I
> guess they are) - the nfs client likes to deadlock ( Martin filed a PR
> a while ago, I can reproduce it but only on sparc64, my macppc and
> sgimips boxes don't do that ) and occasionally I get panics from soft
> interrupt handlers with heavy network load ( I tried to backup the
> machine using tar czf - / | ttcp -t some_host because nfs has been
> unreliable ).

I haven't seen such issues myself.  Without SMP, sparc64 actually works
very well for me these days.

> Also, is the hard lockup by any chance an SIR ( the firmware should
> say something like 'Watchdog reset' ) ?

There's nothing printed to the (serial) console whatsoever ...

> After a dirty reboot I'd expect out-of-sync parity but here I
> occasionally get it after clean reboots as well ( 'clean' as in
> 'shutdown -[p|r] now' so shutdown scripts have a chance to do their
> work ).

I never got complaints about dirty parity after a clean shutdown(8) when
running a single CPU.  However, when booting into GENERIC.MP, I seem to
always get them, even after a clean shutdown(8) (out of a clean parity
state).

Holger