Re: SMP vs. RAIDframe?

Hello,

On Sep 29, 2008, at 7:28 AM, Holger Weiss wrote:

* Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> [2008-09-28 00:19]:
On Sep 27, 2008, at 10:40 PM, Holger Weiss wrote:
However, all filesystems (FFS with neither softdep nor WAPBL) are on a
RAIDframe mirror, and for some reason, booting GENERIC.MP leads to a
dirty parity. During the parity rewrite, the system will freeze within a
few minutes; that is, I cannot BREAK into DDB.  If I mark one of the
RAIDframe components as failed using raidctl(8), the system seems to run
happily until I generate more or less heavy disk I/O.

So, I'm not sure whether this is RAIDframe related, and I wasn't really able to gather useful information yet, but I'd be interested if running RAIDframe mirros on SMP kernels works for others [or] if such problems
are expected.

My U60 ( 2x 450MHz ) works just fine with most things on a RAIDframe
stripeset ( kernel and loader had to be outside the RAID in order to get
anything booted ).

So it doesn't seem to be a general "RAIDframe + SMP on sparc64" issue.

Yeah, I've been torturing it pretty badly. There are other things broken on sparc64 ( not sure if any of them are SMP-related but I guess they are ) - the nfs client likes to deadlock ( Martin filed a PR a while ago, I can reproduce it but only on sparc64, my macppc and sgimips boxes don't do that ) and occasionally I get panics from soft interrupt handlers with heavy network load ( I tried to backup the machine using tar czf - / | ttcp -t some_host because nfs has been unreliable ). Also, is the hard lockup by any chance an SIR ( the firmware should say something like 'Watchdog reset' ) ?

Occasionally I get complaints about dirty parity on startup but that
doesn't have any negative side effects ( and it's meaningless on a
stripeset anyway )

But you didn't get them without SMP?

I never used RAIDframe on any other machine so my experience is rather limited. After a dirty reboot I'd expect out-of-sync parity but here I occasionally get it after clean reboots as well ( 'clean' as in 'shutdown -[p|r] now' so shutdown scripts have a chance to do their work ). Also, I don't quite understand how exactly my stripeset can have dirty parity at all.

have fun
Michael