Re: Advantages of 64-bit vs 32-bit on old hardware

On Mar 12, 2008, at 2:07 AM, matthew green wrote:
      Forgive me for jumping in...I generally agree 100% with that
sentiment, but let's face the facts: The Ultra5/Ultra10 are the "PC" versions of UltraSPARC hardware. Everything about those two machines
   is far, far below Sun's general level of quality, from chassis
   solidity to performance to overall feel.

i don't really agree.

i've been using ultra10's in server roles for many years now and
i've been very happy.  i very quickly got rid of the onboard IDE
which is the main cause of slowness for these machines.  it's
useful for attaching a flash to boot from is about all.

the chassis is pretty annoying, with the turn-me-upside-down
access.  i've been tempted to put the (largely ATXv12) m/b
into a real case :-)

the u5/u10 also run a lot cooler and quiter than the other
models of which i've a few now, but the u10 is always on.
i have had one u10 m/b get fried one very hot weekend i was
not home, but spares are a good thing.

they are very PC like, but they still have OFW and still
seem mostly unencumbered by the dodgy hardware.

Well being "very PC like" was really my point. The flimsy commodity chassis bugs me, and the fact that it's practically useless with the supplied disk interface is very un-Sun-like.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL