re: Advantages of 64-bit vs 32-bit on old hardware

      Forgive me for jumping in...I generally agree 100% with that
   sentiment, but let's face the facts: The Ultra5/Ultra10 are the "PC"
   versions of UltraSPARC hardware.  Everything about those two machines
   is far, far below Sun's general level of quality, from chassis
   solidity to performance to overall feel.

i don't really agree.

i've been using ultra10's in server roles for many years now and
i've been very happy.  i very quickly got rid of the onboard IDE
which is the main cause of slowness for these machines.  it's
useful for attaching a flash to boot from is about all.

the chassis is pretty annoying, with the turn-me-upside-down
access.  i've been tempted to put the (largely ATXv12) m/b
into a real case :-)

the u5/u10 also run a lot cooler and quiter than the other
models of which i've a few now, but the u10 is always on.
i have had one u10 m/b get fried one very hot weekend i was
not home, but spares are a good thing.

they are very PC like, but they still have OFW and still
seem mostly unencumbered by the dodgy hardware.

.mrg.