Re: Advantages of 64-bit vs 32-bit on old hardware

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:46:11 -0700
Greg Earle <earle%isolar.DynDNS.ORG@localhost> wrote:

> You can find a (single CPU) 450 MHz Ultra 60 with 1 GB of RAM, a CD-ROM
> drive and a 9 GB disk on eBay for US $95.  I cannot fathom for the life
> of me why anyone in their right mind would run anything older/slower,
> except out of pure masochism.

Except they are really bullet-proof and work well for applications
where you don't need lightning fast speed.  I run a dual 300 MHz ultra
2 as a mailserver and mailman server for small, local non-profits and
it runs without any hitches [I'm also running FreeBSD on it].

The only disadvantage I see is that it could be more energy efficient.

--
jim smith <n0oct%sbcglobal.net@localhost>