Re: 10.0 crashes on leaving X

Hello,

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:16:49 -0400
vom513 <vom513%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I have a bit more data now.
>
> 10.0 still crashes on the SS10.  It does this right before final
> shutdown, after being in X.  It seems that if I never start X, I can
> shutdown and reboot without panic.

Ok, so it's probably the cgsix driver - I've been unable to reproduce
it on my ss20, but that's with video on cg14.
I'll switch to the cg6 and torture it some more.
Does it crash if you reboot from X or only on poweroff?

> Two things I have tried on the SS10 - neither of which made a change:
>
> - Set output-device in eprom back to just “screen”.  In other words,
> I kicked down from 1280x1024 to 1152x900.

I would have been extremely surprised if the screen resolution made any
difference.

> - Tried a -current-ish kernel (apologies, I couldn’t find one from
> actual current, I used the MP from here:
> http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-10/202404222220Z/sparc/binary/kernel/)
>
> My IPX does not exhibit this behavior (obviously a lot of
> apples/oranges there - 4c vs 4m, UP vs MP, TGX vs TGX+).

It does have a cg6 though.

> Here are screengrabs from the video (and video itself) of the panic:
>
> https://burn.net/~vom/ss10panic/
>
> As always - thanks in advance for any advice or insight on where to
> go next.

This is odd - panic is coming from pmap, I don't think I've ever seen
the 'empty vreg' one. The only thing I can think of is something (
possibly the cgsix driver ) messed up some pmap data, somehow.

> PS: I am also painfully aware of my issues on the past thread that
> turned out to be bad DIMMs.  Behavior was very very similar.  I am
> questioning myself even on this point, however I cannot get 9.3 to
> crash in this manner on this same hardware (same except for the new
> DIMMs - as even 9.3 crashed on the old DIMMs).

I'd reshuffle the DIMMs and see if it crashes somewhere else.

have fun
Michael