Re: 8.2 fails suddenly to boot - /etc/rc issues

Hi Robert.

Robert Elz wrote:
   | I run a SS10 headless with 8.2 - it worked up to the last poweroff.
   | Now it comes up in single-user with no network.

No network in single user mode (unless you manually configure it)
is normal, except for root on NFS.

Actually, I now tried to disable nfs in rc.conf, maybe it was an issue because I contined to see rpc.lock.core

Despite the warnings and the fact I get asked for the shell path, a reboot suceeds in a mixed-mode, not properly multi-user (because no login) but also with a read-write filesystem.

   | /etc/rc.subr: uname: not found

That is very odd, rc.subr (as best I can see) does not run uname.
Have you changed it?
no, I did not change rc.subr

Perhaps some files corrupted in my filesystem? Sounds bad. This is 8.2.

What I did is get etc.tgz from here:
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.2/sparc/binary/sets/

extract ./etc/rc.subr
and comare it to my local one. It looks full of differences!
The file looks recently modified:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  24819 Mar  9 21:21 /etc/rc.subr
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    190 Mar  9 21:21 /etc/rc.conf.example

even the example!

but I did not touch it intentionally. I wonder if pkg_rollng-replace would change it?

I replaced that file in my system and attempted a reboot.

That might indicate the system wasn't shut down properly, or just
that there has been more than one boot attempt since it was last
shut down from multi-user mode.

Yeah, classic :) first thing I do when something doesn't come up, I power-cycle blindly and hope.
Only later I attached a serial console

The only remaining issue I have now is, even after a clean boot:

random_seed: /var/db/entropy-file: Not present

The system look salvaged at a first check, but I really wonder what happened... I restarted pkg_rolling-replace, let's see how it fares, on 9.2 I get a failure in pcre with ICE.

Riccardo