Re: 8.2 fails suddenly to boot - /etc/rc issues

    Date:        Tue, 14 Mar 2023 01:02:51 +0100
    From:        Riccaro Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost>

  | I run a SS10 headless with 8.2 - it worked up to the last poweroff.
  | Now it comes up in single-user with no network.

No network in single user mode (unless you manually configure it)
is normal, except for root on NFS.

  | /etc/rc.subr: uname: not found

That is very odd, rc.subr (as best I can see) does not run uname.
Have you changed it?

  | /etc/rc.subr: uname: not found
  | /etc/rc: print_rc_metadata: not found
  | /etc/rc: print_rc_metadata: not found
  |
  | and these two messages get repeated dozens of time.

print_rc_metadata gets used a lot, so that's normal.  It should
be defined in rc.subr but if something happened to that file,
anything is possible.

  | Intervalled in these messges I see some other failures:
  |
  | eval: handle_fsck_error: not found

Also should be defined in rc.subr

  | random_seed: /var/db/entropy-file: Not present

That might indicate the system wasn't shut down properly, or just
that there has been more than one boot attempt since it was last
shut down from multi-user mode.

  | route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
  | add net default: gateway 192.168.1.254: Network is unreachable
  | eval: checkyesnox: not found

The "not found" is also because of whatever problem rc.subr has,
it should be defined there as well.   I am not sure why there was
even an attempt to do anything with routes, when coming up in
single user mode anyway, I'd just ignore the routing errors for now.

  | what's going wrong?

Check /etc/rc.subr

kre