Re: Can't boot SS2 from CD with 8.0, 8.1, 8.99

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 at 09:11, Mike Spooner <mike.spooner.ux%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> SFEv2 ("Swift") cards don't work in sun4c, at least under any version of SunOS 4.x or Solaris. NetBSD *might* be different, but I doubt it. I seem to remember from way back then that OBP issues were the cause (and lack of DMA would do it too, although that only crops up with the 3rd SBus slot of the SPARCstation-1/1+).
>
> There is a possibility that the SFEv1 ("BigMac") cards *might* work in sun4c.
>
> Of course, an FSBE/S (SCSI &10BaseT LANCE combo) add-in card should be fine, if you have one.

Presumably the issue is most likely FCode on the card being run to
initialise failing because the OBP is missing some feature or other?
Is there any way to determine what is failing?

I wonder what the chances of finding a workaround by dumping all the
OF properties on the same card in a sun4c and sun4m box and seeing if
there was any additional setup the OS could do to fill in the gaps?

:)

David