Xorg vs. SPARC, was Re: "Hard memory error" on TurboSPARC equipped SS5 only when using NetBSD

Hello,

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 21:47:16 +0300
lausgans%gmail.com@localhost wrote:

> Michael, could you please answer to this?

>> I've seen your efforts on bringing graphics acceleration support for
>> various framebuffers in Sun machines to NetBSD, really great work!

Thanks!

>> Especially appreciating X support. However, I've found that all the
>> acceleration bits were not pushed upstream (i.e. Xorg project). Could
>> you please propose them, so Linux and OpenBSD will benefit from your
>> work too, or Xorg is not interested in taking a new code for an old
>> hardware?

I tried a few times but found they're not really interested in anything
that isn't linux on modern ARM or x86 hardware. Also, I didn't have
much time for anything lately and what little time I do have goes into
programming.
However, wiz@ has been pushing bits & pieces upstream.

The acceleration parts I added to, for example, suncg6 and suntcx should
be trivial to port to OpenBSD or Linux, if they need any porting at
all. The suncg14/SX code needs kernel support though, but even that
isn't really hard, it's orders or magnitude easier than - say - DRM.
It's just some minimal setup ( as in, allow the SX to access the VSIMM,
start the processor and provide a way to map registers and SX memory
space ). Also, does recent Xorg even have SBus support or did they rip
that out too already?
One problem with some of them is that the only acceleration scheme
supported is XAA - EXA just assumes that the blitter supports offsets
and variable pitch, which isn't true on a lot of older hardware ( like
cg6 ) and XAA is supposed to be dropped, or was already. Since there is
other hardware with the same problem I'll just have to write a memory
manager for EXA that uses coordinates instead of offset & pitch, and
use that on cg6, crime and the like.
Things like tcx and SX have no concept of coordinates so I only wrote
EXA support in the first place.

have fun
Michael