Re: SparcStation IPC: Data Access Exception

Hi,

Erik Fair wrote:
The other thing that sparc firmware is picky about is the block/frag sizes for the root filesystem. I’ve had trouble with anything larger than 16k/2k.
What's the "default" and how can i check? I just let the installer do it after setting up partitions. Since I have sd0a root, sd0b swap, sd0d as the other partition, root should have no offset at all or minimal. I will boot again on the other machine and check.

I might add that I tried to boot from CDROM and install directly from the IPC but it failed to load (Same message, IIRC). I thought that the old SUN caddy CDROM died, this is why I attempted the procedure by using the SS20 as a "host" system. But perhaps it is not a CDROM issue, but a problem that current NetBSD doesn't support the IPC anymore as Martin suggests? I'll see if I can try booting SOlaris 2.5 again to prove the hardware and perhaps either OpenBSD or older versions of NetBSD.

Riccardo

PS: Apparently my firm intention to start checking all my nice developed GNUstep software on SPARC and BSD has an incredible strain of bad luck.
The SS10 SCSI-cable broke when I made attempts fitting a newer disk.
The IPC Appears to be refusing to boot.

But worst, apparently while using the SS20 as a Host, I removed the internal SCA disks to make it easier to install and left the top cover open. I think I fried my dual HyperSPARC? Although it wasn't so hot, I could touch it, but the machine froze and now is unreliable. Perhaps it would have happened anyway.