Re: SparcStation IPC: Data Access Exception

> [wrote disk on SS20, boot on IPC]

> I get:
> Booting netbsd
> Data Access Exception

> I have a <1GB root and a >1GB /home partition, so I know it should
> fit with the 1GB as boot disk.

That doesn't necessarily follow.  The boot partition needs to be
entirely below the 1G point on the disk.  This does imply it needs to
be no larger than 1G, but it's entirely possible to set up a <1G
partition that is partially or entirely past the 1G point (well,
assuming the disk is big enough, which in your case it must be).

> The SS20 is capable from booting this disk, why not my IPC?

The only thing I have to suggest as a possible answer to this question
is that perhaps your SS20 and your IPC have ROM versions such that the
SS20's boot area restrictions are less stringent than your IPC's....

> (I installed twice, the first time I did one 2GB partition for
> everything and the SS20 itself could not boot from it, then I
> partitioned the disk with a smaller / root partition and it works
> there)

What was the offset of that 2G partition?  I have a fuzzy memory that
some ROM revisions have a 2G limit, due to use of signed 32-bit byte
offsets (operationally much like the 1G limit due to 6-byte CDBs, but
with the cutoff at a different place and arising from a completely
different cause).  But that memory is fuzzy enough that it might not
even be SPARCs it applies to - if it's correct at all.  And, like the
1G limit above, it's not really "must be smaller than 2G"; it's "must
be before the 2G point on the disk".

> Before attempting this install, I had Solaris 2.5 on the HD and i was
> running fine, so I suppose the HW is OK!

Unless it's broken just recently (possible but pretty unlikely).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign