Re: sun4c (Was /etc/disktab on vax)

On 30 June 2012 20:57, Georg Brein <Georg.Brein%unibas.ch@localhost> wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem back with 4.0 RC1; see
>
> http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=37080
>
> My SS2 had ROM revision 2.2 (in the end I solved my problem
> by upgrading to 2.9 which had other nice side effects like
> allowing a boot partition size of 2 GB instead of 1 GB). The
> workaround was to use the second-stage boot loader from NetBSD 3.1,
> which worked with ROM revision 2.2, even when using it to load
> the 4.0 RC1 kernel. The change which broke support for ROM revision
> 2.2 (and presumably 2.4) therefore seems to have occurred between
> NetBSD 3.1 and 4.0 RC1 and seems to be limited to the second-stage
> disk and CD boot loader (netbooting worked fine).

Excellent. While its obviously better having the later PROM revision I
think its worth a pass to try to fix boot to work with the older rom.

Assuming the NetBSD 3 boot program works fine in this case the next
step would be to diff the -3 and -4 boot source to see what might have
changed then possibly build a version with some output debug to track
down the issue.

It looks like the code was updated to new prototypes from  __P()
between netbsd-3 and netbsd-4, which introduced a lot of probably
irrelevant changes, but promlib.c was also moved around and there are
a fair number of changes in stand/ofwboot.

Obviously this needs access to real hardware. I'm happy to help
someone with such hardware either setup a test build environment or
generate test binaries :)

So, anyone with such a machine have some time to spare?

David