Re: DCD as an alternate /dev device?

AGC <agcarver+netbsd%acarver.net@localhost> writes:

> I tried using the dty and tty separately for the configuration but it
> didn't seem to work.  I symlinked /dev/gps1 to /dev/ttyb and /dev/pps1
> to /dev/dtyb.  However, the port was not broken up so once the
> /dev/gps1 port was opened, /dev/pps1 became unavailable for use.  The
> PPS reference clock in ntpd stayed offline even when using kernel PPS
> routines.

dty/tty is supposed to be exclusive.  The idea dates to 2.8BSD or V7 at
least, and lets you have a modem that will answer (because DTR is
asserted because getty is listening on tty00), and then on CD the open
will succeed.  But you can use dty00 which will open without CD, and
then with that open tty00 open is blocked.

I think the problem is that ntp opening the device twice is incorrect.
Either that or it sets some flag to allow that and your driver doesn't
support that flag.   I would suggest reading the ntpd code, ktracing it,
and reading the otehr serial drivers.