Adding nice to an rc.d script

I'm trying to figure out how I can add a nice command to daemons started by rc.d so that I can adjust system performance a little bit.

Specifically I want to start by raising ntpd's priority to -5. The built in priority command line optiosn of ntpd (-N or -P -5) don't seem to be working when I add them to the rc_flags variable in the precmd function. Top says priority is still zero. Manually running ntpd using nice -5 does work so I'm trying to incorporate this into the startup script somehow.