Re: free timekeeper RAM lithium batteries for Ultra5/10

Steve Rikli writes:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 05:27:01PM -0400, Michael wrote:
> > On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Steve Rikli wrote:
> >
> > > Unpacking some boxes I ran across a small packet of "timekeeper" RAM
> > > Lithium batteries for Ultra5 / Ultra 10.
> > >
> > > Since I've given away all my Suns of that class, I have no need of
> > > these spares -- happy to give them (I have 5-6) to NetBSD folks.
> > >
> > > The part#s etc. I can see on the chips:
> > >
> > >   M48T59Y-70PC1U
> > >   WHT3049X
> > >   TIMEKEEPER(r) RAM
> > >   LITHIUM BATTERY
> > >   MALAYSIA
> > >
> > > Looks like a 28pin package, fyi.
> > >
> > > The kit is located in Silicon Valley, CA, USA; all I ask in return
> > > is reimbursement for the cost of shipping.
> >
> > Is that the same thing they used in the SS20 and U1?
>
> I don't know for certain but I don't believe so.  I have a couple of
> others which are pulls from SS10 and SS20 IIRC, and they have different
> part numbers than above.
>
> Dunno about Ultra1 -- used them at $WORK but never had one personally.

All the chips in the sparc-based boxes up to the Ultra1 had either
a 48T02, 48T08, or 48T18.  Starting with the Ultra1 (i.e. the sun4u
architecture), all systems have 48T59-type NVRAMs (what you have).

The old 48T02 was 2kbit x 8 and had 24 pins.  The 48T08 was
8k x 8 and also had 24 pins.  The 48T18 was a newer version of
the 48T08 and I *think* it was pin-compatible.

The 48T59 for the sun4u is also 8k x 8 but has 28 pins, so you
cannot use these for earlier architectures.  They also differ
in access speed.

These parts are quite rare now.  They are no longer being sold, at
least not here in Germany.  Fortunately, Sun has since switched to
PC-style "button" type batteries.

There is an "NVRAM FAQ" that explains how to open a dead NVRAM and
solder a battery on top of it:

http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email:
vab%bb-c.de@localhost
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt