an open volume, from which they occasionally read a page or so, thus

the benefactor that they are so? We must prepare to receive." Faithful
went on his way. The sun sank in its bed of fleecy clouds, the

evening dew fell on the earth, and all was still. The lesson

must have penetrated the hearts of the listeners; for on the morrow
their urns, white and clean, were full of sparkling water. Do we look
into our hearts each day and see that the life from thence has gone
forth for good and made ready for new, or are we idly murmuring that we
have no life-waters? Can
the Father's life inflow if we do not _give_? Our souls are sacred
urns, which He longs to fill to overflowing with pure and heavenly
truths if we are willing to receive, and faithful to extend, his
mercies.
XIII. SELF-EXERTION. An aged
man who had built for himself a house upon a high elevation of land,
and had labored many years, yea, the
most of his lifetime, in conveying trees, plants, and flowers with
which to decorate his grounds, came one
day in his descent upon a youth who sat by the roadside looking greatly
dispirited. "Hast thou no parents nor home?" inquired the kind man. The
youth shook his head, and looked so lonely and sad that the heart of
the questioner was touched, and he said, "Come with me." The boy looked
pleased at the invitation, and, springing to his
feet, stood by the stranger. Together they commenced the long and
toilsome ascent; but the feet of the youth were tender, and ere long
the aged man
was obliged to carry