Rly an hour. As I did so there was a loud cry or command

Two two's, sir, all hands had their knives out,

and we was cuttin' and slashin' at each other loike--loike--sodgers
on a field of battle!" "Are there any hurt beside Tom, Mike, and
yourself?" I
asked, too completely dazed with the sudden horror of the thing to look
at more than one side of it for the moment.
"Ay, begorra," answered the Irishman; "Dirk's done for, I expect; and
there's others of us that'll

want plenty of watchin' if we're
ever to see the other side of the

Line again." "Is that so?" ejaculated I. "Then for Heaven's sake send
somebody to relieve me, that I may go for'ard and see what is to be
done in the way of stitching and bandaging." "Ay!" exclaimed O'Gorman,
"bad cess to me
for forgittin' it; that was what I came
aft to ye for." And therewith he hurried away forward again, and in a
few minutes
a man came aft and took over the wheel. I hurried below, and found Miss
Onslow engaged upon some needlework. She looked up with a bright smile
of welcome as I entered,
but immediately sprang to
her feet, exclaiming: "Charlie! what has happened? You are as white
as a ghost! Have you received information of any fresh villainy?" "No,
dear, no," I interrupted. "Something

very serious
has certainly happened, but this time it concerns us only very
indirectly.
The men have been quarrelling and fighting among themselves in the
forecastle, and one or two of them are rather seriously hurt. May I

enter your cabin for a moment, sweetheart? There is a medicine-chest
there, with, probably, a supply of surgical bandages and so on. I will
take the whole affair for'ard, as until I have
seen precisely what is the matter it will be impossible for me to know
what I shall require." "Then, Charlie, are you going to dress the
injuries of those wretched men?" she asked. "Yes, dear," I answered;
"you ne