Re: aak! Tadpole 3GX parts/manual?

Back on 2010-01-25, I wrote

> I have a Tadpole SPARCbook 3GX.  Just today, I went to close the lid
> and, with an unpleasant cracking sound, the right hinge broke.  [...]

A kind listmember from another list sent me a replacement bezel (the
part of the hinge that broke is integral with the bezel), and I just
replaced it; the machine is now back in working order.

The replacement bezel came with hinges attached, and, now that I have
something to compare with, I realize the old hinges were very stiff;
this is probably how come the part that broke got overstressed to begin
with.  The new hinges move much more smoothly and with far less effort.

I've also taught myself to take the screen apart enough to replace the
bezel, of course; in the process, I've learnt that there's a connector
between a pc board and the LCD unit proper that, if slightly loose, can
cause a very odd failure mode: colours are weird and the display gets
shifted left roughtly 40 pixels and up maybe 10-15 pixels.

\ / Ribbon Campaign