Re: dbri and speakerbox on a SPARCstation 10

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 14:07 -0500, Chris Ross wrote:
> I just updated an old SPARCstation 10 build machine (3 processors)
> to netbsd-5.  Upon booting, I happened to notice:
>
> dbri0: speakerbox detected
> dbri0: cs4215 rev E found at offset 8
> audio0 at dbri0: full duplex, playback, capture, mmap
>
>    Now, while it's cool that the audio is supported, even if I don't
> expect I'll use it, I find the first line odd.  I'm sure there isn't a
> speakerbox on this machine.  I don't even remember which incarnations
> of SPARC's used the little speakerboxes (18-20 years ago), so maybe
> the 10 has an effective speakerbox in it that's being detected, but I
> think the description, if not the fact, is somewhat wrong.

The speakerbox was an external device, so you'd probably know if you had
one. I know they were supported on the SPARCstation 10 and LX (I put one
on my LX after I removed the speaker to improve cooling. I don't think
they were supported on too many other systems, though.

John