Re: NetBSD 5.0 and SPARCstation 5 not a lucky combination

I have some test results to report: disabling RASTERCONSOLE & recompiling a kernel appears to make the graphics console hard hang go away on both the SS20 (cg14/SX) and the LX (cg6/TGX) that I have tested.

The SS20 seems entirely fine, in as much as my easy "dmesg|page" was unable to duplicate the problem, but I did not exercise it much further. dmesg(8) reports:

cgfourteen0 at obio0 slot 2 offset 0x0 level 8: 8 MB VRAM: cgeight emulated at 1152x900x24bppcgfourteen0: attached to /dev/fb0

Perhaps a missing "\n" in the driver?

The LX also works, but has some odd problems in its terminal emulation still; in particular, when vi(1) quits and attempts to reset the screen with what appears to be a reverse scroll (?), the monitor window gets covered in a series of black 1" long horizontal rectangles. However, running clear(1) makes them go away and the keyboard/console does not hang. dmesg(8) reports:

cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 3 offset 0x0 level 9: SUNW,501-1672, 1152 x 900, rev 8 (console)
cgsix0: attached to /dev/fb0
cgsix0: framebuffer size: 2 MB
cgsix0: FBC: 00229540

Both systems are attached to Sun GDM-17E10 (Sony) 17" CRT monitors.

Next step for me: wscons testing.

        Erik <fair%netbsd.org@localhost>