Subject: Re: 24-bit on SX Framebuffer
To: Jimmy Settles <jsettles@att.net>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/08/2003 13:46:31
> I have an SS20 using the onboard SX framebuffer with an 8mb VSIMM.  I
> have build my kernel using GENERIC.MP, it looks like my framebuffer
> is configured at 8-bit.

> cgfourteen0 at obio0 slot 2 offset 0x0 level 8: cgthree emulated at 1152x900x8bpp (console)

Yes, it is.  "cgthree emulated" means the driver is presenting a view
that looks like a cgthree - an 8bpp framebuffer.

Look back thorugh the list archives a bit; there's been some discussion
recently about X on the cg14.  I hacked on the driver and the X server
and got it to work; I believe there's someone else working on rolling
what I did into NetBSD's current source tree.  (I used Consortium X
rather than xsrc X, and a rather old kernel.)

> Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

The only thing you're doing wrong, really, is expecting it to Just
Work.

At a minimum you will need to turn on CG14_CG8 in your kernel options;
that _might_ be enough to get something working with Xsun24 -cc 4.
Better would be to go through the archives.  The most recent two
messages that look to me as though you may want to read them are

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2003/02/15/0008.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2003/02/25/0002.html

but you may also want to read the rest of the messages in the threads
they belong to.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign