Re: Porting NetBSD to SGI Fuel?

On Sep 17, 11:33am, silas%nocafe.net@localhost (Silas) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: Porting NetBSD to SGI Fuel?

| On Sun, Sep 02, 2018 at 07:44:52AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
| >If it runs on OpenBSD it should not be very hard to port the relevant
| >code to NetBSD...
|
| Hi!
|
| My investigations say that it is more complex than that.  I just found a
| message in port-sgimips [1] about NetBSD not supporting SGI Octane
| because there is no mips64 support in the toolchain (apparently
| confirmed by http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/sgimips/), although an answer
| to this e-mail [2] does say there is mips64 support.
|
| I was told privately the mips64 toolchain support is essential for
| porting code from OpenBSD, and NetBSD lacks that.  I would like to
| confirm that with you.

There is mips64 support (evbmips). The kernel is 64 bit but the
userland is still 32 bits. Last I checked dynamically linked 64 bit
binaries were crashing due to dynamic linked missing relocation types/bugs.

You can build mips64 either big or little endian and we do complete
builds every day (here):
https://releng.netbsd.org/builds/HEAD/201809170210Z/
(see evbmips-mips64eb/evbmips-mips64el)

| Besides this thread, I've also sent e-mail to people and some kindly
| answered with tips and documentation, although nobody has the time for a
| mentoring project right now.  Anyway, I'm still at your disposal for
| that project (going to receive the SGI Fuel this week :-]).
|
| [1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2017/08/31/msg000726.html
| [2] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2017/09/01/msg000727.html

Is there a 64 bit emulation for mips? qemu...

I am willing to help, but I am as always stressed for time. You can
also cross build everything which helps tremendously.

christos