6.0_BETA upgrade fails on Indy / Challenge S

Hi,

I've been attempting to give 6.0_BETA a try but without any success. I
have an external 4.3GB SCSI disk which currently boots 5.1 and which
I'm trying to upgrade to 6.0_BETA. I've tried three different
machines, all netbooting the install kernel, two failed extracting the
base set and the third got past base and failed extracting comp. The
machines are:

R4600/133 Indy with 96MB RAM, failed with malloc errors while
extracting base.tgz, I guess 96MB is no longer enough to run an
install.

R5000/180 Challenge S with 192MB RAM, failed extracting base.tgz with
strange errors like "Cannot rename ./usr/share/locale/uk_UA.KOI8-U/
to ./usr/share/locale /uk_UA.KOI8-U/LC_MESSAGES/SYS_LC_MESSAGES
(Not a directory)" and "Cannot set permissions on (null) (Bad address)".

R5000/150 Indy with 256MB RAM, succeeded in extracting base but failed
to extract comp.tgz with "Command ended on signal".

I might try an install next, instead of an upgrade, just to see if that
makes any difference.

George